Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Upon Where I Stand Amid Alterations Of My World

I have a few days to complete several projects and menial assignments for the California caucuses on the Clinton campaign, and then I am moving, perhaps not permanently, to my new home in Washington, where I might end up in the thralls of “it” all. It is never comforting to be uplifted from your roots and forced to start afresh, especially when something you are pretty much passionate about takes a temporary backseat to the establishment of a new life. And perhaps if you could understand my position, then you could understand why I will take the liberties of merely rambling in this post as there is a lot I need to get out of my system. I took a few political ideology surveys, and I encourage you to do the same thing to get an indication of which candidate you might choose to support or vote for in the next presidential elections.

There will always be divisions in politics that seem to take away the promise of consensus and progression. People let political labels and stereotypes turn the complexity of their understanding into an oversimplification, and there is a prevalent hesitation to agree with, or even understand, the opposing party on an array of issues; a fear of straying away from the comfortable nests people establish on one side of the spectrum. Although, a significant percentage of Americans are moderate, and view the issues not through the eyes of a staunch Republican or Democrat, but as individuals rising above partisan politics to convey their beliefs according to each topic of importance. I am a person who refrains from generalizing my political ideology, but for practicality’s sake, I cannot seem to get around broadening my scope to get a clear sense of my collective beliefs, which does not mean I avoid all the apparent contradictions or nuances in my thinking. I always knew I was generally liberal on social issues, but it came as a surprise that surveys continuously pointed to the notion that I am more conservative on economic and foreign policy. I was consistently taught to help those who could not help themselves, and to always talk things out rather than resort to physical might, which are rather liberal ideas if applied to the function of government. However, as I arrived at an understanding of my beliefs, I realized that for each of my personal convictions I also have slight oppositions or exceptions to my original claims; a balancing act, which makes me more or less a moderate with libertarian leanings.

I believe that all the problems and conflict this nation confronts has an answer, the possibility of resolution, and as The Beatles once said, “when the broken hearted people living in this world agree, there will be an answer”. I believe that everyone should try and find middle ground at day’s end, and this conviction in the power of compromise is reflected in my beliefs. I am pro-choice. I am not pro-abortion. I am for educating young women, and helping them make responsible choices whatever that choice may mean to them in the context of their own circumstances. I advocate offering women alternative opportunities and options so that they are not compelled to easily resort to abortion. I would never personally get an abortion, and I do not believe that women should decide to abort their child, except if the mother’s life is in danger, but the liberties of others takes precedent over my personal beliefs. The issue is whether to make abortion legal or illegal on the national level, and I believe that if abortion is made illegal, it would not stop women from having abortions, and would force desperate mothers to get unsafe, back-alley abortions where they put their own lives in danger. If we made abortion illegal, we would also assume to make less of a priority to confront all the societal issues that getting an abortion entails such as teenage pregnancy, and rape, which ultimately leads to the issue of crime and the lack of safety in communities for increasingly vulnerable women. Making abortion legal will encourage people of various fields to confront these societal issues that go hand-in-hand with abortion, and may even incite doctors and physicians to improve medicine and technology to keep the mother’s life safe and healthy during pregnancy and labor, as well as that of the child’s safety, so that a woman does not find an answer in abortion. Keeping abortion legal on the national level also means new national responsibilities. We would have to implement more restrictions such as not allowing abortions after a certain trimester of pregnancy. My stance on abortion clearly illustrates that I do not completely side with either political party or present a cohesive political identification. My approach toward the issues held firm when I was not satisfied with any one choice presented in the surveys, and wanted to choose multiple choices or edit certain parts of a choice so that it aligned better with my own beliefs.

All the incongruities in my belief system get muddled together, and it shows in my surveys if looked at in its entirety. I am a moderate and a gradual Libertarian, with liberal and conservative ways of thinking. One survey specifically states I am “moderate” and that I should consider the Libertarian Party, and another survey was more concise, showing in big red letters that I am a “Libertarian”. I am more conservative economically because I generally agree that people are responsible for their own socioeconomic conditions, but I also believe that America does not perfectly offer equal opportunities, especially in education. I do not advocate equal success, but the chance to succeed and get ahead, which allows for competition, and the incentive to push harder for progress. I am for universal health care and government programs to help the poor and homeless even if it means that the government must raise taxes, but only with certain reservations. I believe the government should work towards reversing dependency on welfare and funded programs because when the people rely too much on government help it has both negative affects on the government and the person’s own life (with the exception of health care). Welfare and other government programs should not be the end solution to the problems a citizen faces and its sole purpose should be to encourage people to move forward and give them the tools to take personal responsibility in order to succeed. The conservative in me is also convinced that government regulation in businesses and corporations should be kept at an absolute minimum, but if there are abuses and violations of laws, then the government has the obligation to intervene. Sometimes, there are unhealthy relationships between those who actually advocate restricted government involvement in business (Bush administration), and large corporations. They should be entirely independent of each other partly because they may find ways to work together without the interests of the people in mind.

The surveys helped me understand that I really did have these notions about certain issues in terms of economics. The conservative elements outweighed my liberal viewpoints. While I am more liberal than conservative on foreign policy, the bulk of the questions in the survey were concerned with economic policy, which is why I seem more conservative. If I were to vote today in the 2008 Presidential Elections and base my decision solely off of economics, I would side with the Republicans, but in regards to foreign policy, I would wholeheartedly vote Democrat, specifically, either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama (however, I do not like his policy of meeting with other world leaders without any preconditions). When my father took his survey, he received the same results. My beliefs are based on principles my parents always instilled in me, but I also have taken those principles and values and formed my own opinions, independent of my parent’s ideology or guidance.

My first survey indicated that I was a “Liberal”, which is a result I most likely expected, especially because I am more liberal when it comes to social issues. However, when I looked back on my answer choices for some of the questions pertaining to social problems this country faces, I found I was more conservative than I anticipated. I am for free speech, but I am against making marijuana legal, and I believe that if marijuana is to be used in hospitals, there needs to be more restrictions and supervision. I am against censorship in many cases (a liberal stance), yet I am for keeping illegal immigrants out of this country through tougher border control (a more Republican viewpoint). I do not believe illegal immigrants should have equal access to government programs that help the poor. I advocate that we get the illegal immigrants in this country documented and then put through the legalization process so that they can be legal citizens. The problem mainly takes root with the incompetence and corruption of the illegal immigrant’s native country. I also wholeheartedly support legalizing gay marriage and more gun control, and I am against the death penalty, even though I had once been convinced that people who committed horrible acts should deserve to be executed. There will always be misconceptions about liberals as there are about conservatives, but I think, in the upcoming presidential elections, liberals and Democrats will be more attuned and adept to address the national mood and the most pressing issues. If I were to choose one presidential candidate that I felt could make a difference, according to my liberal positions on social, economic, and foreign policy issues, I would pick Hillary Clinton.

My age, my gender, and my socioeconomic status have influenced my political ideology to a great extent, yet I find that I have the ability to transcend my own circumstances and what would be beneficial to me, to try and step inside the shoes of my fellow Americans. I understand that no person can cater to all the American people and their needs and beliefs, but I believe that every issue we must confront has a point of resolution, the opportunity for compromise, no matter if it concerns extremely controversial issues where there are more clearly defined oppositions. This may be the idealist in my character, but I think it is possible if we move beyond the partisan conflict and stubbornness convoluting Capitol Hill to truly reevaluate the course we want to take as a nation, and to look at our own willingness to get things done and accomplished so that we may see success in the future, for generations to come.

If I could get back to the presidential elections…at a later time….that would be great. I know I have some consternations about recent events, but it is almost 10:00 pm over here and my family is downstairs with late night snacks and the television on full blast. Haha.....Random: By the way, I hate my title. Had to think of something!

Feel free to post your own ramblings. (!)

4 comments:

Flora Korkis said...

I understand how you feel. When I was first taken out of my birthplace, I freaked. Good luck with your new life in Washington. I'm sure the shift from living in Cali to Washington will be a drastic change for you.

People will always try to be conventional to themselves in one way or another. That's the way of society. But then again, if we all tried to be unconventional, we'd be conventional all over again. Politically speaking, this also applies.

I took several of those surveys before. I took one for a civics class at one point, and was described as very liberal. I took the liberty of taking another test elsewhere and was described as Conservative. I think it depends on the person administering the test and which country they reside in. For example, a Conservative in Canada would be more Liberal than one in the States.

You're right - making abortions illegal would cause for greater harm. Back alley abortions would be done. The same as with what's going on with drugs - there's black markets for them because you can't get them legally. What people want, they will get, either by legal or illegal means. When tobacco was taxed to death here in Canada due to the government's greed, a big black market was created.

Getting back to your political ideologies: when we're kids, we listen to our parents and see a right or wrong; no in-between's. However, as we grow older and are still in the midst of growing, things become much more complex... there is no wholly right or wholly wrong; there's right and wrong elements on both parts. I'm not sure, but I feel that, when I'm older, the "complexifying"(is that a word?) process will stop, and we'll find our place. Hopefully.

Great post, Flamenco.

Flamenco said...

haha I am also sure that the transfer will be a dramatic one. I lived in Washington for almost two years when I was 10 and 11, but I was wholly isolated from many things and I don't believe I entirely appreciated the district and did not enjoy my stay their to the fullest. California is essentially where my life is at, but actually it may not seem like it, but I am sure that I can easily adapt to the new environment, even as I say my good byes to my friends here in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara. It has been emotionally-packed these last few days, but its not too bad. I am completely grateful for my life situation as of right now. Nothing to complain about. I am glad you can relate. I knew you would be able to. I know a little something about your past, so yeah. ;)

Right. I am not trying to be unconventional in my thinking. Really, I don't care if I sway either way. What matters most to me is that I take the most careful calculations of where I stand on the issues, and hopefully make the best sound judgment possible. Gradually, that comes for me. I could go into specifics about my beliefs as they take shape right now, but I am still learnng about a lot and developing my opinions as I am sure is something that you are experiencing as well.

Yes, I grant, these tests can be completely unreliable or biased or just plain out inadequate. I can see how you are definitely liberal, but I can't say that I have seen much of a conservative in you :), but that just may well show how ignorant I am in full scope of your belief system. And I had no idea about the disparity between Canada and the United States' definition of conservative and liberal! Crazy. I always like hearing more about Canada.

I have to admit, my stance on abortion is not particularly unique and I think it might have come across in my writing that I thought my belief concerning abortion was something different from what everyone else has thoughts about. Thank you for agreeing with me, and I fully understand where you are coming from with the whole black market situation. Its terrible (although, I don't agree with making certain "classified" drugs legal).

I couldn't agree with you more in your last paragraph. =)

Flora Korkis said...

Flammy, thanks for the response. I don't know... I guess my views are... real mixed up. If it all averaged out, I'd be in the center of the political spectrum... not right nor left. There are some things that I'm really tough on, and some I'm soft on. Call it bipolar politics, haha.

Flamenco said...

ahh yes Bipolar politics. Just ask John Kerry or Howard Dean or the senator of connecticut or the rest of "them" (politicians) about that one. Rather than being a prognosis, its a fundamental characteristic.