Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Live! From Washington

Gah! Alright. Now I actually have a little time to talk to you guys on ATWKS! Let me first just say that I was really interested in Flora's story and what is going on in her life right now because, although I understand there are perhaps a lot of differences between her situation and my situation, they are sort of similar. At least I can understand what she is going through in terms of almost having to start over in life, which can be kind of refreshing in a way if we were to stand back and look at the positives. However, I don't know if she might find my comparison insulting. but don't Flora! I wish you the best with your new independence! As for me, well, again, I do not like to talk so much about me, but life has been a little crazy as of late and I would also like to share my story, if that is okay with all of you. Right now, as I am typing this out, I am sitting in my new bedroom, in my new home, in my new city, practically a world away from Los Angeles, California, which I miss so dearly (I have to remind myself to edit my profile). School is going great. I am already making new friends and connections. I obviously had to join Model UN (I left the club at my old school as President and of course they already have a president for my new school's Model UN). I also joined their debate team, which I also participated in at my old school. I have to say how different the east coast is from the west. Maybe that is just me obsessing over the particulars and me missing my hometown, but it truly has been an entirely different experience. I am going around town with my new friends, who were happy to show me around. Anyways, I cannot fully express how it has been so far, other than allowing myself to use the words "exciting" and "hectic". As I left the Clinton campaign in California (she was there the other day and I had just missed her), I signed up as a high school volunteer for her campaign based in Washington. I have been working hard in that regard and the director there even allowed me to form a high school organization so that we could make our own brochures and host our own parties (how nerdy that sounds), and I am helping with the formation of the delegation, especially coming from Annapolis.

I would like to address something in this post that has been coming up between my new classmates and I. Do not get the wrong impression of me. I do like to talk about things other than politics. It is not my sole interest and it does not occupy the majority of my thinking. Because the presidential elections are coming up, I have been focusing a lot of my attention towards it, but I hope that, in light of the event that Bush will no longer be in office next year, people will not forget about the issues that face the international community and our nation or the prospects that this new president has to deal with. I will refrain from talking at length about the media hype and Barack Obama (in whatever I say, I never attack Obama) or all the recent criticisms of Hillary. I will however address her ties to a former president, as we all know who that is. I know that I am sick and tired of hearing all the things there is to hear about it, but I have been confronted with having to make a response to this "proposed" problem, even though I do not see any problem as it stands in the reality of who she is, what she has done publicly, and what she will do....publicly.

It is an old debate; the entire ordeal with having a former president back in the White House and how this is being used to help Clinton win the nomination and so forth (and I believe it only shows how people interested in politics only become preoccupied with "politics" and nothing more):

Bill Clinton had a relatively low profile in his wife's campaign (and I still believe that, however, some would disagree), but as the race in Iowa and New Hampshire primaries began to get a little more competitive and "neck-and-neck" , Bill Clinton began to play a larger role in promoting her message and speaking up to her defense. Mr. Clinton now plays a part in Hillary Clinton's controversial motif of "change" as it was alledgedly Obama's word and slogan....yadda, yadda, yadda, but we all know that experience will not be enough to win her the nomination. Frankly, I am tired of the change vs. experience argument. But, let me be critical about my own candiate:

Throughout Clinton's campaign so far, Hillary's team has been hesitant for Bill to enter on her behalf primarily because they believe Bill Clinton represents the hope of the past and the new message of Clinton's campaign is experience for "change". While they want to focus on experience, there is a disconcerting undertone, especially among the youth, about an almost aristocratic, elite group of politicians sustaining power in the past two decades (and I have a retort to that, but this is not the place) and Hillary would be carrying on that tradition. Therefore, it is ironic that Hillary is singing the high praises for something new when she seems so attached to an older time when there was a different political and cultural atmosphere. Bill Clinton has seemed to muddle the emphasis of Hillary's message and as he becomes more vocal, his acute weaknesses become evident. Contemporaries seem to notice Bill Clinton's spontaniety and impulsiveness when it comes to addressing the press.

The intensity of his involvement was due to his belief that the primaries in Iowa and New Hampshire were a critical factor to winning the nomination and he still exudes a competitive spirit that he has not shown since his early campaigning days. Bill Clinton appeared on the Charlies Rose show making statements that allowed for consternation, such as saying that he was clearly against the war from the very beginning, which goes against the facts of his true stance back in early 2003. He also voiced that his wife is receiving unfair, harsh criticism, while Obama is being somewhat praised and his high-minded rhetoric being catered to (and I totally agree, but this does not mean I do not like Obama any less for this observation).

Personally, I am ecstatic that Bill Clinton is taking part more in Hillary's campaign, but I would not want it to be an impediment on her independent image and nature. Realistically, Hillary will always be attached to her husband to some degree and while I believe he was a great president, I do not think it is a good idea that Hillary depend so much on his presidency as she has done several times, but which I am sure are slight mess-ups she is learning from. The people do not want to hear so much about how sucessful her husband's administration was, even though she did play a minor role in it all. Morever, it will only bring the downsides and the failures of the past along with it. As president (IF), she will need Bill, but more as her private support system rather than major political aide and mentor.

I understand I am not being too perceptive and I know this has been touched upon, but it has been nagging me for the past two days and I just need to talk about it. Seriously, all this talk of campaigning and "politicking" is sickening. If you guys could just imagine the heaviness of politics that is brewing in all the presidential campaigns, you would get a headache too. I cannot wait until the media can again focus on the issues. I am "tired" (my favorite word in this post) of the focus on the actual political process and the not-so-reputable side of it all. If only there was a way to solve the world's problems without the need for "politics;" such an ugly word (it always has been). The blows and attacks from either side, even subtle attacks are being made, which I believe are far worse than more blatant ones.

Anyways, I am holding together on my side. I only hope you are doing well on your side.

5 comments:

Flora Korkis said...

That was a really cool post, Flamenco! I didn't notice Hillary's dependence on Bill... okay, well, I did, but I didn't notice her hypocritical stance on change.

Flamenco said...

Yes, well that is an argument against her. I do not just want to post things to praise her. The press is certainly not lightening up on their attacks against her. But, I am still working hard so that I can contribute in any little way I can to help her get the nomination.

So, I do not know if this is the proper place, but: How is it going with everything?

Flora Korkis said...

Everything's good. I'm probably not going to leave. I've got a good plan. Evil, but.. good for me. :)

Flamenco said...

Oh, I see. :)

...umm....and what about Teen Vogue? Not only do I not have the time to log on and chat (I mean, I am totally willing to devote a few minutes of my day to this site), but I also refuse to because I would be tempted to post something...perhaps a retort to something stupid that someone is saying or...you know....just to talk and then waste my time.........

Flora Korkis said...

I'm not as into TeenVogue as I was before. I like posting there on occassion.