Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A new year and old origins

Happy new year, everybody! Please use this post as a means to tell me what you did on New Year's Eve! Personally, I didn't really do much of anything. I have what you call "compulsive blogging syndrome." Fuck you for getting me addicted, Blogspot!

Anyway, I thought I'd also kind of spend this time to explain a bit about ATWKS. You see, some of the coolest things in the world don't have a name that fits them, and thus, they don't have a more "true" feel. What I'm about to explain to you is the "power" of ATWKS, and the silly shit behind it.

It was a few years ago, and I was an avid member of a lovely board called TeenVogue Forums. I pretty much posted there like a demon, and I certainly don't post there as much as I used to, though I still post there regularly. The relevence is that this is where ATWKS came together. Anyway, I remember one day that I asked the girls to come up for a name for some kind of organization, and there were some pretty interesting names and sources for the names. A 13-year-old suggested "and the world keeps spinning." Guess what the source of the name was?

Britney Spears' song "Lucky."

No fucking kidding. Here's a verse from the song:

Lost in an image, in a dream
But there's no one there to wake her up
And the world is spinning, and she keeps on winning
But tell me what happens when it stops?
They go…
"Isn't she lovely, this Hollywood girl?"
And they say…


Okay, the "keeps" part isn't there, but the girl who made the name suggested that was the source. Close enough.

You might think I'd have to be a Britney Spears fan to accept a title with that source, but that's not the reason. In fact, I condemned Britney from my TV ever since I knew how to think for myself. The real reason why I loved the name so much is because it describes everything in life so perfectly. You can become a drug addict, the most famous person ever, or an asshole like me who spends 99% of her time writing or playing video games, and even then, with or without you, the world keeps spinning. Basically, you don't exist to anyone but yourself. I'm no existentialist, but it's so true to life.

Thanks for reading, and remember to get plenty of rest, unlike me.

No comments: