Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Monday, January 7, 2008

TeenVogue Girl of the Week: Katie Nguyen - A balancing act

Katie Nguyen is a Washington teen with a solid style that she describes with 2 words: Classy and simple.

Personally, I like the balance and old time contrasts in her outfit. Her white bubble skirted babydoll dress reminds me of the Victorian age, which has inspired some of the best and most innovative fashions to date. It's also very doll-like, in the sense that you can see many dolls with undergarments that resemble it. The sequin detailing and black undershirt are too typical for my taste, so we'll skip them.

Here's the Victorian-esque concept, minus the lace:



Over the dress comes the mysterious short trench. It's long enough and has the right collar to give an edge, but short enough so that you can still see the Victorian-esque, bubbly dress bottom. It has nice black button details, and the material seems practical and comfy.

The black leggings and ballet flats give a really fitting but contrasting feel as well. For example, though the flats and leggings both have their origins in ballet, the leggings have moved on (pun intended). In the 80's, they came to be more part of the punk and rock culture. Flats are a symbol of elegance and class.

Punk: Rock:

In short, Katie has a nice style that I'd like to see more of. Some parts are too dull, but the concept is there, and she obviously sees that. She's classy and simple, just like she said.

6 comments:

Ana said...

i like your new format

if i saw her on the street i would never turn my head. her outfit is generic. leggings+flats=overdone.

Flora Korkis said...

Yeah, it is generic, but she sees something. She's clearly going through a phase where she's discovering herself.

Monika said...

I don't like these girls with their awkward poses and their "oh look at my stylish style"-attitude.
anyway, I think your blog is great!
tell me, if it's okay that I link you (with my blog "my everyday glamour")!

Flora Korkis said...

I'd love a link-up! Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to be subscribed to your blog.

Mónica said...

I like the dress, but I think the leggings are so over... I wouldn't wear leggings any more, at least for now.

la petite fashionista said...

leggings done right.. i personally would have accessorized some more or added some color, but she looks parisian chic!

xoxo