Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Dark Knight

Alright, so Heath Ledger's death was tragic. I loved him! He was such a great actor.

He was in:

10 Things I Hate About You
The Patriot
Monster's Ball
Brokeback Mountain
Casanova
That one Bob Dylan movie....I have temporarily forgotten the title of it.

....and several more. Man, he had such promise.

Well, as some of you may know, he last filmed The Dark Knight. It is part of the Batman series and he was cast as the Joker. I watched the trailer and.....he was amazingly scary. The movie is coming out this summer with Christian Bale, which is a disappointment because I do not like him as Batman. I heard that to prepare for this role he lived for one month in a hotel room in isolation. It is known that he was busy and sleep deprived. He threw so much of himself into these challenging characters. I would like to think that his death was not suicide. He had a daughter and a potentially great career ahead of him. If you look at his recent interviews, he was acting completely strange, which can be attributed perhaps to sleep deprivation, stress, and the use of pills to help him with his sleep and stress. I think he miscalcuated his intake of those pills and probably did overdose. It was pretty shocking.

Anyways, enough with the gossip.

Here is a link to The Dark Knight Quicktime Apple Movie Trailers. If it does not work for you, I am sure it is on youtube.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknight/

8 comments:

Flora Korkis said...

It's strange that you say that Christian Bale is not a good Batman, while I feel he's the best Batman ever. First, he's aesthetically suited to the character. Dark look, strong features. Second, he's been in movies where he played characters with serious mental dilemmas. American Psycho is a great example - it's a whole psychological trailblazer. Perhaps better suited to the elements of Batman though, were the feelings of numbness that he displayed in Equilibrium. No feeling of love of fear; no feelings. Just existance for the sake of existance, which is hollowed and empty. The darkness leaks of relevance to Batman. The Prestige displays a lighter side of psychotic feelings by the character he plays in the movie, but nevertheless is somewhat relevant and is one amazing movie.

The common theme that most (if not all) of Christian Bale's characters share in common is serious mental dilemmas. Look at it - The Prestige, Equilibrium, American Psycho, and even Batman - all have serious mental issues that remain unsolved. He's typecasted this way, but he is a master of the craft.

Flora Korkis said...

Woops, I meant love or fear.

Flora Korkis said...

Oh, and those movies listed are only the few where he played someone who was really fucked up in the head.

Flamenco said...

And I don't know. It is just me. I envisioned something else for Batman; not the physicality of Christian Bale because he certainly looks the part, but the character. I read the DC Comics when I was younger and I have never been satisfied with any of the Batmans. The only one that slightly caught my interest was Michael Keaton as casted by Tim Burton.

I take those lack of emotions and sense of hollowed feelings as lack of character development and what Batman truly isn't, if you mean to say that he takes that and applies it to his role as Batman. The billionaire is not empty, but feels an undercurrent of emotions that should be revealed in the most subtle ways and Bale fails at that. I see nothing in his eyes, if you can understand what I mean. There is nothing there, and Batman's eyes are supposed to be the most profound, intimidating feature of the character as are the lips of the Joker. In Batman Begins, I didn't feel him. That is a mere "gut feeling" I have.

I only say this because I always had high expectations for the Batman character. I have to say that I deeply admire Bale in his other roles, just not in Batman.

Flamenco said...

You never know, though. I might like him in The Dark Night. This response is coming solely from what I saw on Batman Begins. It might have been the screenwriting, but I didn't feel the Batman character with Bale.

So, yeah, I hope he is better in this movie!

Flora Korkis said...

There is an undercurrent, but a numbness at the same time. The main thing that controls him is sorrow. Though it is hard to portray both numbess and sorrow together, I personally felt he did a pretty good job. Hell, not just pretty good - it was my favourite movie of the year!

Hopefully he improves in The Dark Knight to satisfy your needs though :)

Flamenco said...

Really? It was 2005, right? or 2006? My favorite Batman is the 1989 movie.

Flora Korkis said...

Haha, I meant it was my favourite movie of the year at the year I watched it, which I'm undoubtfully sure was 2006 :)