Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A heavy metal elder and an instant friend

Today, I thought I'd bring you guys a more positive, uplifting post, as opposed to the usual dark or politically-motivated pieces. The light isn't always present, and it's not something that is as interesting to talk about as the darkness and world-wide spectrum of life. But then there's those times when the light is so strong... and you can't deny it. It could be a simple kind gesture that someone made to you, or it could be a new, strong trust made. It could be anything.

It happened for me today.

I was in class, doing work for my group Aftermath which I'm started within my school, as opposed to doing a review for an exam I have today. What can I say, I was so excited from when I got things settled down and structured with my group supervisor! I also learned that she loved System of a Down. Who'd have known a lady in her late 40's to early 50's (I can't ask a lady for her age) would like rebellious music? Anyway, that's just the minor thing that made me smile today. That's not the bigger part.

Back to being in class: I was really bored after finishing the structure plans for Aftermath's first meeting in February, so I asked my teacher if I could leave class to get something from a vending machine. She said yes, and she gave me the attendance list to take to the attendance office on my way. I left, took the list to the office, and headed straight for the vending machine.

When I got to the vending machine, I saw this black-haired, dark-skinned girl putting in some change into the machine, and just as the bag of chips she selected was falling out, she started pushing the vending machine like crazy. After she did so, I asked her why she did it, and she said it was so that she could get two bags. She didn't get two bags, but she was almost there! I told her I wanted to try as well, so I did. We waited until the teachers weren't looking in order for me to start.

I had put in a twoonie ($2 Canadian coin, for my international readers) into the vending machine, and proceeded to watch the teachers as I was "working my magic." I wanted the Lay's All Dressed chips. So, we kept rocking the machine for a bit, and we didn't get caught. That is, until I lost my guard. When I lost my guard, a teacher caught me and her and they said, "Aren't you supposed to be in class right now?!" Lying, I said, "I have a spare..." (a spare course period, that is). He started yelling at us to go, so me and her started running off. I was upset that the vending machine didn't give me any chips.

Me and her ran behind some hall doors, and we just started talking from there. She also gave me some of her chips. Strangely, I asked her to hang out for a bit with me in the halls. I don't regret my "forwardness" in this case. Seriously, we had everything in common, except for the fact that she's from Pakistan, and I'm from Iraq. But everything else... the way we react to strangers, our favourite kinds of chips, our favourite school subjects, and lots of other things that we like.... it pretty much all matched up! I eventually told her my name, and she told me her name. I don't know how to spell it, but it sounds like who-ma. So, I'm assuming it's spelled like Houmma or Homma.

She eventually had to get to class, but right before then, we discovered we have the same lunch period! I had to leave to class too, but oh well... it was definitely worth the ride! I never instantly became good friends with anyone in 30 minutes! The world still has it's delightful surprises.

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Please tell us your stories!

2 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

What a delightful story! I'm afraid my luck is not so great, but I have been thrust together with people in a group project and one of the girls was really forward (rather like you). We ended up hanging out together after our group meeting until around 3 a.m. (college campus); we had shared the class for nearly a semester and never gotten to know each other before that.

Flamenco said...

Ahh great story.

And System of the Down, oddly, brings back a lot of childhood memories. I had a good neighborhood friend who loved System of the Down. She is that one person in your life that you admired when you were younger and looked up to, but now realize how unadmirable they actually were.

Anyways, an old person encounter. How awesome.