Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ontario's Efforts to Remove Religious Education

Firstly, I go to a Catholic school, and, not of my own will, but that of my mother's. Strange, I am still not completely against it, though I am not a believer of God as a superior deity.

It was during education week that this issue was brought up. The theme was to "Show your Christianity to stop the bill from passing." "The bill" refers to Ontario's effort to remove religious education within the province, which, as many would agree, would be a good thing. However, I do not wish for religious education to just be eliminated, but also replaced.

You see, a few years ago, I had some bad experiences in a public school down in the Southern region of the province. During my stay, I realized a few things about the differences between religious and public schools; some positive, some negative. To my surprise, the positives and the negatives added up to a neutral point. Here's what I realized:

Positives of going to a public school versus a religious school:
You waste less time learning crap you'll never use, unless you become a priest or some sort of religious authority.
Negatives of going to a public school versus a religious school:
Your experience in school is somewhat more daunting because of the fact that religious schools implement structures such as the Golden Rule of respect heavily, while public schools do not implement such rules at all.

This is my remedy: completely eliminate religious programs within Ontario, but replace them with ethics classes, or implement a structure into all schools that bring out the inner humanitarian in all of us. Not only does this usually cost less, but it's less of a waste of time. Besides, we're going to end up learning the same shit anyway, minus the whole God aspect.

Thanks for reading, and..
Ciao!

No comments: