Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Thursday, December 20, 2007

False Followers of God

Today was certainly a very interesting day in the fight of Christians VS non-Christians.

The school I attend is divided into 5 periods of 75 minutes. We're in class by 8:15AM, and dismissed at 2:43PM.

During period 1, I finished writing my notes, and had about 20 minutes to burn. So what did I decide to do? Go on one of the computers, ofcourse!

As soon as I logged onto the school system, I clicked on the internet explorer icon. Things were working normally. Then, I typed in www.ethicalatheist.com... and bam! The school blocked the site out.

So, in my fit of annoyance, I turned over to my friend, who we'll call Sarah, to tell her how annoyed I was that the school blocked out Ethical Atheist for the obvious reason that it was an Atheist website (most other websites that are approved by the board are "pro-God"). I told her how ignorant it was that the school would block out the website for that reason, and then, it happened...

Now, I'm not trying to put a label on all Christians or believers of gods here, but everyone in my class was practically attacking me just for my complaint on the ignorance of the school on behalf of Christians. They said things like, "Well it's a Catholic school, and we believe in God, so ofcourse they'll block it out!" Really, does the belief in God allow closed-mindedness? I'm sure that's why he gave you free wills, isn't it?

But that's not what really bugged me. It was what would happen later that really ended up making me try to restrain myself from laughing too hard.

Fast-forward to period 5. I'm in cosmetology class, in the school salon, and just drying my nails off from the red nail polish that I freshly applied. Then comes a girl from period 1, who was the one who made that Catholic school point. She had just basically told the girls some lies in the class the moment she walked in, and then they started asking me all of these questions and assuming too much crap about me.

One of the questions I was asked was by the class drunk, also affectionately known by our teacher as "Drunkie." "If there is no God, then how did everything begin?" Look, I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm not going to pretend I know and assume that everything magically appeared. The laws of physics says that's physically impossible. How can a massless creature create mass? Physics says even creatures of mass can't create mass, so if you honestly can give me a decent answer as to how a massless creature can create mass, then I will be completely and utterly shocked.

Amongst all of the questions laid the usual bitchiness of the cosmetology class. Some girls were saying that they wouldn't accept me because I have no belief in God. Funny how they expect me to listen to their theories, while they automatically took mine and threw them away without ever observing them. One may call that loyalty, but I call it ignorance and cowardice.

The fun didn't end there, however. Right after class, I went to my locker to get my things so I could leave. I was still trying to contain myself, but then one of the girls from class came and did something rude and stupid. She got her friends to point me out along with her and chant loudly in the halls, "Flora doesn't believe in God!" in a very obnoxious manner. All she really ended up doing is making Christians look like morons. Somehow, I'm not shocked.

9 comments:

AFitz said...

Ok, so I don't know you, but I found your blog after reading comments on another blog, etc etc you know how it goes.
Anywho, I just wanted to comment I FEEL YOUR FRUSTRATION!! The exact same thing happened to me at school when I was fifteen, the only two differences were 1) it was the teacher that singled me out and 2) I don't even go to a catholic school. I go to a public school. wth.

Unknown said...

Hey, its Vault from www.EthicalAtheist.com

I think that it shows a strong character to tell people in a Christian school you are atheist. I admit, I was too much off a pu$$y to do that at my private school :0. And its not like it was that long ago during different times, it was only 8 years ago that I graduated (yeah, I know I am old when 8 years doesnt seem that long :) ).

Anyways, Ill come back and read some more of your blog a bit latter on when I get a chance.

Flora Korkis said...

Thanks guys. Funny thing is, I didn't even say that I was Atheist to begin with. I merely went on Ethical Atheist, and then the attacks happened from there.

I really don't know exactly where I stand. I don't believe in God as a deity who's above us, but I believe there's a force within us, that is not above us. Call it "God as a feeling."

Well, perhaps it would be best for me to call myself Atheist, since it strictly is about not believing in God. Seems to suit things well, though it's vague to me.

Flora Korkis said...

Afitz, which blog are you talking about? Which one linked to this blog?

Ana said...

i think Afitz means you posted a comment on someone else's blog and she clicked on your name.

Anyway thats so closeminded of your school to block EthicalAtheist.com. Fortunatly although I go to a private school its a school that is a little more openminded then most. For example the school newspaper just published an article about a group of atheist teachers and students who attentd the Bible class. In my grade we're reading Inherit the Wind...which has a lot of anti-creationism sentiments...

I would be happy to do some writing about fashion.

Flora Korkis said...

Ana, thanks. After reading your blog, I definitely want you on. Click here for details.

Anonymous said...

I never knew you go to a Catholic school!

AFitz said...

Yeah, that's what I meant. I was looking on someone's blog (i think originally posted about in the teenvogue forums, but I really can't remember) and someone had commented on it and I just kinda followed the links.

Anyway, wether you're really an atheist or not is not the point. The point is you are being singled out for having a harmless point of view different than everyone else.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Christian but I really hate when other Christian's discriminate against atheists. I mean I don't think anybody should be shunned for their opinions. I respect everybody's religion or lack of religion because it's what they want to do and they're comfortable with. & your school shouldn't have blocked that site.