Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The camera loves Bianca

This is the first official interview being posted onto the ATWKS website, and is the first in a series. Our subject today is Bianca Crudo, a fifteen-year-0ld with the aspiration to become a great actress.

First off, talk about some general things about yourself.


Hola! I'm Bianca, and I'm fifteen. I am 5'1'', so no one can call me a midget. I love dancing and singing, but my true passion is acting. I lived in Canada until I was ten, and while I was there, I was in a feature film called Julie Walking Home as one of the leads. I was Julie's Daughter. I was in it with Miranda Otto (Princess Eowyn [from the Lord of the Rings]) and William Fichtner (Prison Break, Contact, Perfect Storm), and it was by far one of the best experiences of my life. At 10, my dad got promoted, so we moved to Connecticut. I am still trying to persuade my parents to bring me acting, but it is an on going battle.

Just random stats: [my] birthday [is] April 2nd, 1992, [I] Like Brown Hair and Hazel eyes, I love my nose, I hate running shoes, I have an unnatural obsession with the OC, and most of the shows I watch are reality television. People have asked me if I am bulimic before, and I find that incredibly insulting (I weigh 88 pounds).


Bianca, please tell our readers more about your acting experiences! For example, some other movies you've been in, and some wonderful people you've met during the filming of said movies, or because of those movies.

Was there any particular movie that made you think, "This is why I want to be an actress"? If so, which one? And what actions have you considered taking to get back into acting?


Well, my mom knew that I was destined to become an actress since I was little. I craved for the attention of the video camera. So one day, my mom brought me in to see an agent and they loved me. So I started auditioning!

On my first audition, I got stand by (so on the rare occasion that the person who got the job can't do it, I will) and that upset me. The next thing my mom told me is something I will always remember "it doesn't mean you weren't good enough, it just means you weren't right for what they were looking for". I kept that in mind as I continued auditions, and I booked my second job! I was in a royal canadian mint commercial.

After that, I did 2 more commercials: a healthcare commericial (I was a boy's little sister, and sat there and played game boy for almost the entire time), and then I was in a 'hop along Katie' commercial. In between those, I auditioned for 'Don't Say A Word' with Michael Douglas, but didn't get the part.

Finally, I auditioned for 'Julie Walking Home'. We were on vacation in Quebec when we got the call that I was called back! We went home, and I actually auditioned with the boy who ended up playing my twin. Filming Julie Walking Home was an amazing experience. I was taken out of school for a month (I got a tutor) and then I went to Halifax, Nova Scotia and stayed in a 5 star hotel for filming! If anyone watches Naturally Sadie, the boy who plays Rain Papadakis was in the movie with me. *Smiles*

The Director was Agneizka Holland, who directed The Secret Garden. The plot of the movie is that my dad cheats on my mom, my brother gets cancer, and he is allergic to the chemo. So he is brought by Miranda Otto (our mom) to Poland to see a healer; their last hope. I don't want to give away the ending. *Laughs*

After filming the movie was when my career started to take a turn for the better. I filmed a capital one commericial, but it got shelved. *Frown* After filming that commericial, we moved to Connecticut, where I wasn't allowed to act until I was an American citizen. I am one now, and now I am arguing about going into the city. Both of my brothers are wrestling almost every night after school, and my mom doesn't want to abandon them so she can drive me into NY for auditions. So currently, I am trying everything I can to persuade her just to try it out.

A funny tidbit: I hated the movie when I saw it because I knew every single line and I still haven't seen the entire movie *Smiles*... there is a sex scene that my mom made me close my eyes for when I saw it at the age of 10 (I went to the Toronto Film Festival!), and then I haven't really been interested in watching it since (Unless people force me too ) *Smiles*. PS Sometimes it is on the sundance channel!
Any other questions?


Bianca, do you still believe your mother was right when she thought that you were destined to become an actress? Do you believe it is your destiny?

Have you considered going to a university or college that has a program that can further you on your path to becoming a well-established actress?


I think she was right. Whenever anyone asks me what I want to do, I always say "act." What frustrates me about her is the fact that she still won't try out the New York scene. I know it will take up a lot of time, but I am just asking her to try it!

And of course I have [considered going to a program for acting]! I have also been looking into a theater major, so currently my top choices are: Michigan, Juliard, and Ithica. However, my parents are bribing me with a new car or a downpayment on a house to go back to Canada for college. So if I go back there, I would look at going to Ryerson.


What are you looking most forward to taking an acting part in the future? Commercials, movies, broadway? Pick one!

Movies, definitely. Since I have done them all, I can safely say that movies are the most fun. On broadway, you have to portray a character, but all characters have to be larger than life, which is a LOT easier than trying to be real and true to the person. You also get to meet all kinds of different and talented people.

Ahh, I see.

I once heard the phrase, "in order to be a good actor, you must be a good liar." How do you feel about this?


I AGREE TOTALLY. *Laughs* I laughed when you said that because I have a funny story.
At one point, I auditioned for a discovery kids television show called 'The Adventures of Bug Boy'. I was auditioning for Bug Boy's sidekick. So I did a really good audition, and then at the end they asked me if I liked bugs. I said I hated them, and then never got a call back *Smiles*


I think you have to be a liar to some point because people are analyzing your every move, and in a sense, actors are there to please people. Does that make sense?


Before we finish up this session, I have just one more question: what does acting mean to you?

Acting means everything for me: a job, a lifestyle, a passion, love and everything else. I can only see myself being an actress, and I will do whatever it takes to make that dream become a reality. I don't think that people really understand why I love acting so much. It is kind of like TeenVogue. You just get hooked, and no matter when you say enough is enough, you keep coming back.

Thank-you for the interesting session, and I wish you good luck on the road to becoming a great actress!

Thanks so much! *Smiles*

Bianca Crudo can be found in Julie Walking Home, as she said. To learn more about the movie, click here.

No comments: