Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Blogging - a waste of time, or another way to sell?

The past few days have been quite fun, with the exception of last Friday 'noon. Me and my brother have been doing more things together that range farther from the usual, like watching MMA, using the computer, and watching TV. We've actually been going outside together and having fun, regardless of the little we actually have accomplished. It didn't matter whether we bought anything; whether we found that TV that we wanted to buy, whether we got the movies we wanted to rent, or anything of that sort, even though such things were the premise of us even doing something new together anyway. It was the interesting conversations we've had for hours on the busses and city benches that were most valuable to me.

One really interesting conversation that I had with my brother happened last night, when we were on a city bus to the downtown area of the city, where the big shopping plaza is. My brother had told me that he thinks my hobby of having debates on the internet is a waste of time. He labelled me an "iWarrior."

What is an iWarrior, you ask? An iWarrior, according to him, is a person who, on the internet, looks for a debate on a specific topic, finds an opinion that differs from theirs, and calls the person with the differing opinion a moron or a dumbass. He says that iWarriors include bloggers, such as myself.

How is a blogger an "iWarrior"? He says that bloggers are iWarriors because they're trying to sell an opinion, and not just the facts that enable a person to decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong.

He's wrong, and yet, he's right.

Mature bloggers, such as myself and the other two fabulous ladies at ATWKS are not "iWarriors," per se, but rather just opinionated ladies. We're telling our side of the story, but we're not going to call you a dumbass, because we're requesting your comments. We want to hear from you. Every time I get a little message in my hotmail account that says someone has actually spent their time reading my material, and every time it becomes apparent that they've learned something valuable, something special from me, it puts a smile on my face.

However, he's not completely wrong. Yes, bloggers are selling an opinion, and there's pretty much no way to deny it. I sell my opinion for the reason I stated in the previous paragraph. Authors sell opinions in their books. Religious authorities, because they are individuals, sell opinions. Jehova's witnesses sell their opinions to you right at your doorstep.

You can't go anywhere these days without someone selling an opinion in some way or another, so why can't I sell mine on a blog?

No comments: