Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Free speech doesn't come free, especially at ChristianForums.Com

... in many places. However, a prime example on the web which you have complete access to is http://www.christianforums.com/. We'll explore their sillyness through my chronicles there.

Recently, I was supposedly very offensive in my introduction at ChristianForums.com, according to one kindly user who sent me this PM:

Hi! We wish to inform you that your report of a post in the forum New Member Intros - KnightOfArabia 16-2-2008 has been reviewed and acted upon by Staff.
Please reply to this PM if you have any questions.
I wonder what was so offensive about this:

Lol I checked my PM's and someone actually reported THIS thread.

Anyway, thanks for the welcoming.
Because this didn't seem very offensive to me. You decide:

The Knight has arrived!


Well, as you can see, my username is KnightOfArabia. I got the idea from the Kamelot song Nights of Arabia, which is a really awesome song.

My name is Flora Korkis, and I am a 17-year-old Armenian/Turkish/Arabic citizen of Canada. I was born in Batnayah, Mosul, Iraq on December 27th, 1990.

I'm an Atheist. I came here mainly to read more on you, but I guess I'll add more just so I can make this post a little more worthwhile.

I am the Founder and President of Aftermath, a nation-to-nation and local violence awareness group here in humble little Ontario (okay, maybe not little since it carries over a third of the Canadian population).

I love music. I think it has an amazing power to move us in so many directions. I love art. I feel the last dignified job in this world is being an artist.

I want people to think of me as an artist... as someone who was always creative and well-spirited about what I do. I want people to remember me for my ideas, and for all the hard work I put into Aftermath. I want people to remember that I ran this one woman show of a life of mine ON MY OWN. I did everything of value in my life up to this point on my own.

That's all.

Tell me about yourselves, too. I'd love it.

What the fuck was so offensive about that? Did I not kiss enough ass there?

I was also very offensive with my words, according to yet another kindly user.

Hello KnightOfArabia:

I'm , and I'm a "New member intro" mod, and I'm coming to you to let you know that I have edited a post of yours
Quote:
How the hell could you refuse a beard? :lol:

- removing the word hell because it violates the rule Words which are not censored but are considered violations. as explained here:

Usage of the following, in other than Biblical context:

damn
hell
bastard
ass

will result in staff edits and infractions.

Please take this time and read our CF rules.

The way this works is, we extend grace the first time, we then hand out warnings, after you have had a warning, we issue infractions, after 4 infracations in a 6 month period, you recieve a 30 day ban, after 8 infractions in a 6 month period, you recieve a permienent ban.

Welcome to the forum, and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Any communication about this report, will be added to the report found here.

Thank you...
The rest of that e-mail was deleted for user privacy.

So, I took the time to read the full-length CF rules on word infractions. Here it is, and please don't take them too seriously. They're so professional, it makes me jealous. In fact, I've taken the time to bold the parts which I deem most professional.

Words which are not censored, but are considered violations

Usage of the following, in other than Biblical context:

damn
hell
bastard
ass


will result in staff edits and infractions.

The improper usage of God, Jesus, or Christ is already covered in an existing rule, but such usage will result in a staff edit, and an infraction.

************************************************************************

If should be noted that staff still have some level of discretion, and infractions may not be automatic, especially in the case of new members, or possibly for the first violation.

The above is not considered a rule change, but more so a clarification of the existing rules, specifically in the case of words which are not censored, and how violations will be handled.

******************** Clarification ********************

Originally posted by Constance on December 3, 2007
Added to this
post by Tangeloper - Dec. 3, 2007
OK, cussing has been addressed under several different categories (blasphemy, triggering the filter, and non-filtered cussing). I'm readdressing it now to get rid of the inconsistencies between categories.

ALL instances of "cussing" will be moderated in a like manner. If reported, at minimum, a staff or member edit is required.

If someone posts "R-O-F-L-M-A-O" or "Hell!", moderators have the discretion to edit to "R-O-F-L" or "Heck!", or send an RFE, or warn, or infract, but at minimum it should be edited.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that "poop" is a horridly vile word. If a member posts p00p or p**p or poo-hoop or calls a member a [washmymouth][washmymouth][washmymouth][washmymouth]ybutthead,
mods will send an RFE, or warn, or infract, but at minimum it should be edited.

Heck, darn, shoot, etc, are OK. In regard to abbreviations like SNAFU or LMAO, first, care should be taken because sometimes people use these abbreviations without knowing what they mean. Enough research should be done to make sure that we don't give someone an infraction for using the word asinine, an innocent acronym, etc.
If a mod contacts you about an ambiguous acronym or word, please educate them and provide them with information about the word or phrase.

In Summary:
1) All word violations are to be treated
similarly.
2) Mods have discretion as to how they are treated.
3) All instances that are reported will at minimum be member or staff edited.


Professionalism is clearly at the heart of CF! Kudos to you for keeping that dirty third-grade-level demonism out of our hearts and minds!

I was very rude to CatholicSue at one point, and I shall thank the kind folks at CF for challenging my behaviour. I can't just copy and paste the entire message for you to feel wholly fulfilled, so here is the thread that they made on me (seriously, they love me that much. Ewww creepers). http://christianforums.com/t6881817-new-member-intros-knightofarabia-16-2-2008.html After all, CatholicSue was right - Atheists are the only ones persecuting Christians, and the other way around never happens! Look, there's an Atheist trying to destroy the 10 Commandments! Kill the heathen!

Here's the general ChristianForums.Com Rules. Again, the most professional parts have been bolded:

The names or titles of God, including Jesus Christ and the Persons of the
Trinity (Father, Son, or Holy Spirit), in any language, are not to be used as
expletives or interjections or in an abusive, mocking, or insulting way.
Sharing of information about one's beliefs, for instance by quoting Bible
verses or witnessing, is encouraged. Honest debate and discussion regarding the
existence and nature of God is allowed and welcome. Mockery of Christians, Christians beliefs, and the Christian God are not.
You will not promote any faith, belief, or religion other than Nicene Christianity. Promotion of Satanism and occultism is strictly prohibited. Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.
Flaming, baiting, trolling, or feeding trolls is not allowed. This also applies to groups. In other words, play nice, don't hurt others, nor call them names.
If you think you are being flamed, choose *not* to be offended, but instead take a break, and communicate, rather than escalating or accusing others.
Defamation is not allowed.
Harassment of another member is not allowed.
Threads which are off topic for the individual forums are not allowed, and substantial derails of threads are not looked upon in a favorable fashion.
Congregational Forums wishing to remain safe havens may choose to limit debate to members of their own denomination, insist that all posts conform to their creed etc.
Age and or gender restrictions are to be respected.
Reasonable confidentiality will be respected by Staff and Members, alike. Issues with staff decisions should be taken to the staff member, then the reconciliation team, period. Don't post them, don't PM them to others, don't take them to Lee.
Do not say racist or sexist things. If the swear filter is activated, edit your post, don't try to bypass it. Don't post graphics or text you would not be comfortable sharing with someone's grandmother.
Don't break the law, don't violate copyright, threaten others, or do or promote anything illegal.
Don't spam in threads or sigs, don't promote get rich quick schemes anywhere on the
site.
Use the brain God gave you. Think before you post. Think about how your post may affect someone else.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this wonderful information. Free speech clearly entitles restricted speech! Also, telling me how to feel saves me plenty of time. I've got no need to feel anymore! Also, I'm going to be some big giant douche on the net and take everything that's said to me from a stranger 100% seriously, and maybe cry, and hopefully, kill myself.

In other words, you can go fuck yourselves, you fascist bastards!

3 comments:

Flamenco said...

That is so sick. I guess they care more about what religion, or lack thereof, you are affiliated with then the actual good works you do and the good person that you are. I mean, they probably could not get past you being an "athiest" and probably did not even bother to read the fact that you started that group where you help prevent violence and so on. Its like they don't even care about a person's actions. Its all about words that don't mean anything because they are JUST WORDS in which these Christians need to rise above and understand that if you are not trying to be offensive and that if you are not a "bad" person under all those frivolous words, then they need to grow some thick skin and stop being such trivial self-righteous know-it-alls.

This is why I especially cannot stand Evangelism, and unfortunately there is a relatively large number of Evangelists in the United States. Their belief in God and their understanding of God is directly related to faith in God, rather than in good works. Morality is solely based on the belief in their god? What kind of denomination is that? Not only do I strongly believe that religion should come in moderation, it should also stress a person's good works; actions and not just blind faith. All Evangelism is is blind faith. Sorry, but I believe that truly moral people are ones who act out God's words instead of just believing in them. And, get this, I even believe that you do not have to be a Christian to act out the Christian God's words in your daily life. You can be anything and still be truly moral.

Flora Korkis said...

Unfortunately, even my own brother thinks morals are limited to theists.

Buffalo said...

A theist doesn't necessarily a moral person make.

Your brother is wrong. An atheist can be moral. Fear of a deity that will send you to everlasting damnation should you violate one of his or her edicts doesn't imbue you with morality - only fear.