Welcome to ATWKS!

“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.”

- Henry Ford

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Emile Durkheim - the life and times, told in a class presentation.

For a course I'm taking, Challenges and Changes in Society, I had to act as a social scientist. I was picked to act as the father of sociology, Emile Durkheim. Here is my ultra-groovy script:

I was born for this, right? Anyway, at the 3rd paragraph, I went up to my friend who acted as Karl Marx the previous day for his social scientist presentation, and he was quite... shocked, I guess? Everyone was laughing. We all had a good time.

4 comments:

Buffalo said...

Good stuff, young lady. It made me smile.

(But morality has darned little to do with religion.)

Flora Korkis said...

Haha, thanks, Buff! I know that morality has little to do with religion, but I had to play a character, and that's who I was for the time being. :P I actually agree more with Marxist ideals than Durkheim's ideals, but I can respect Durkheim for making people really treat the social sciences as areas of academic interest.

Flora Korkis said...

Damn it, I got my mark back and it was only 85% :( Oh well.

Buffalo said...

Marxism is a lovely theory. Unfortunately it is rendered impossible by the nature of humanity.